ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Hawaii and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Hawaii.
Hawaii Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Hawaii have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic safety and equipment inspection required.
- Does Hawaii require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Out of state permit or bill of lading may be required for out of state motorcycles.
- Does Hawaii require a title for old motorcycles?
- Titles required for all motorcycles.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Hawaii
To title and register your project motorcycle in Hawaii, you’ll need:
- Signed title and current registration certificate (if applicable)
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Hawaii Inspection Certificate.
- Bill of Sale if the title was not released by the previous owner.
- Bill of lading or out of state vehicle permit for motorcycles from out of state.
- Application for Registration (Kauai)
- Application for Registration (Maui)
- Application for Registration (Hawaii)
- Registration and titling fees.
Find more information about Hawaii motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Hawaii:
- Bill of sale
How to register a Motorcycle with No Title in Hawaii
Option 1: Bikes from Hawaii
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
- Duplicate Title (Kauai)
- Duplicate Title (Maui)
- Duplicate Title (Hawaii)
- Duplicate Title (Honolulu)
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Hawaii.
Option 2: Bikes from outside Hawaii
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Hawaii Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Hawaii requires street legal motorcycles to have:
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Handlebars no more than 15” above seat height.
- Passenger footrests when riding with passengers.
- Turn signals.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
1 thought on “Hawaii Motorcycle Registration & Title Laws”
Thank you I have a bike I bought at a yard sale years ago. The gentleman said “the bike belonged to his son who is away at college. He also told me only pay me half and take the bike and when my son comes for the holidays come get the title and pay the balance.” I waited 2 months then went back to find another family living in the residence. I’ve run the vin number and license plate and the bike is not stolen or anything else bad. I need assistance in getting ownership papers . Please help if can thx
Comments are closed.