This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Idaho and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Idaho.
Idaho Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Idaho have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Idaho require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for all motorcycles.
- Does Idaho require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all motorcycles are titled.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Idaho
To register your bike in ID, you’ll need:
- Signed and released title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale
- VIN Inspection
- Title application
- Registration, taxes, and title fees.
Find more information about Idaho motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Register a No Title Motorcycle in Idaho
If you bought a motorcycle with no title in Idaho, you can try the following:
Option 1: Motorcycle bought in Idaho
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
- Application for duplicate title
- Or Application for duplicate title with ownership transfer
- Motor Vehicle Record Request (if the title number and VIN are not available)
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Idaho.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Idaho Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Motorcycles in Idaho must have the following:
- Rearview mirror.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Passenger footrest when riding with passengers.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.