- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Idaho and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Idaho.
Idaho Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Idaho have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Idaho require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for all motorcycles.
- Does Idaho require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all motorcycles are titled.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Idaho
To register your bike in ID, you’ll need:
- Signed and released title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale
- VIN Inspection
- Title application
- Registration, taxes, and title fees.
Find more information about Idaho motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Register a No Title Motorcycle in Idaho
If you bought a motorcycle with no title in Idaho, you can try the following:
Option 1: Motorcycle bought in Idaho
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
- Application for duplicate title
- Or Application for duplicate title with ownership transfer
- Motor Vehicle Record Request (if the title number and VIN are not available)
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Idaho.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Idaho Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Motorcycles in Idaho must have the following:
- Rearview mirror.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Passenger footrest when riding with passengers.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.