Illinois Motorcycle Registration & Title


This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Illinois and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.

Illinois Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles

  • Does Illinois have an equipment/safety inspection?
    • Not required.
  • Does Illinois require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
    • Not required.
  • Does Illinois require a title for old motorcycles?
    • Yes, Illinois requires all motorcycles to be titled.

Title and Register a Motorcycle in Illinois

To title and register your motorcycle project in Illinois, you’ll need the following:

How to Register a Motorcycle with no Title in Illinois

You have the following options if you’ve bought a motorcycle with no title:

Option 1: Bikes from IL

Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:

Option 2: Bikes from out of state

If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:

Option 3: Register in a No-Title State

Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.

Illinois Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements

Illinois requires motorcycles to meet the following requirements:

  • Rearview mirrors.
  • Handlebars must not be higher than rider’s head height.
  • Passenger footrest required when riding with a passenger.
  • Daytime headlight required.

This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.


2 thoughts on “Illinois Motorcycle Registration & Title”

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Yes, an MCO should work in place of the title. Be sure to get a Bill of Sale along with it. Contact the SOS to verify if you’ll need anything else, but you should be good.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top