This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Illinois and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Illinois.
Illinois Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Illinois have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Illinois require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does Illinois require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, Illinois requires all motorcycles to be titled.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Illinois
To title and register your motorcycle project in Illinois, you’ll need the following:
- Signed over motorcycle title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Vehicle Transaction
- Tax Form RUT-50
- Registration, title, plate fees, and taxes.
Find more information about Illinois motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with no Title in Illinois
You have the following options if you’ve bought a motorcycle with no title:
Option 1: Bikes from IL
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Illinois.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Illinois Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Illinois requires motorcycles to meet the following requirements:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebars must not be higher than rider’s head height.
- Passenger footrest required when riding with a passenger.
- Daytime headlight required.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.