ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Indiana and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Indiana.
Indiana Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Indiana have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Indiana require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for out of state motorcycles.
- Does Indiana require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, titles are required for all motorcycles.
How to Get a Title for a Motorcycle in Indiana
To register your motorcycle in Indiana, you’ll need:
- Signed over title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Certificate of Title
- Transfer of Out of State Title application for motorcycle purchased out of state
- Odometer Disclosure
- Sales tax
- Registration and title fees.
Find more information about Indiana motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Indiana
If you purchased a used motorcycle with no title, you can either:
Option 1: Bikes from Indiana
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Indiana.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: If you can’t get a title with method 1 or 2, you can try:
- Completing a Affidavit of ownership application
- Or Completing a Court Order Title Application
Option 4: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Indiana Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycle in Indiana must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Passenger footrest when riding with a passenger.
- Daytime headlights.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.