Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Iowa and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Iowa Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Iowa have an equipment/safety inspection?
- No safety inspection required.
- Does Iowa require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does Iowa require a title for old motorcycles?
- Titles required for all motorcycles.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Iowa
To register your bike in Iowa, you’ll need the following:
- Current signed title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale
- Application for Title and Registration
- Registration and title fees.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Iowa
Option 1: Motorcycles from Iowa
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Iowa Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Iowa requires motorcycle to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Passenger footrest when carrying a passenger.
- Speedometer and Odometer.
- Daytime headlights.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.