This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Iowa and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Iowa Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Iowa have an equipment/safety inspection?
- No safety inspection required.
- Does Iowa require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does Iowa require a title for old motorcycles?
- Titles required for all motorcycles.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Iowa
To register your bike in Iowa, you’ll need the following:
- Current signed title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale
- Application for Title and Registration
- Registration and title fees.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Iowa
Option 1: Motorcycles from Iowa
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Iowa Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Iowa requires motorcycle to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Passenger footrest when carrying a passenger.
- Speedometer and Odometer.
- Daytime headlights.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.