Register & Title a Motorcycle in Kansas

Register & Title a Motorcycle in Kansas


This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Kansas and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.

Kansas Title & Inspection Requirements for Old Motorcycles

  • Does Kansas have an equipment/safety inspection?
    • Yes, periodic inspection required.
  • Does Kansas require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
    • Required.

Does Kansas require a title for old motorcycles?

  • All Kansas motorcycles are titled.
kansas motorcycle registration & title

Kansas Street Legal Motorcycle Requirements

Kansas street legal requirements include:

  • Rearview mirror on left side.
  • Passenger footrest when riding with a passenger.
  • Turn signals.
  • Daytime headlights manufactured after 1977.

How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Kansas

To title and register your motorcycle in Kansas, you’ll need:

  • Signed title.
    • Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
  • Motor Vehicle Examination (MVE-1) for out of state motorcycles.
  • Proof of insurance.
  • Sales tax.
  • Registration and title fees.

How to Register a Motorcycle without a Title in Kansas

If your motorcycle has no title, you can:

Option 1: Motorcycles from Kansas

Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:

Option 2: Bikes from out of state

If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:

Option 3: Register in a No-Title State

Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.

This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *