This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Kansas and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Kansas Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Kansas have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Yes, periodic inspection required.
- Does Kansas require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Does Kansas require a title for old motorcycles?
- All Kansas motorcycles are titled.
Kansas Street Legal Motorcycle Requirements
Kansas street legal requirements include:
- Rearview mirror on left side.
- Passenger footrest when riding with a passenger.
- Turn signals.
- Daytime headlights manufactured after 1977.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Kansas
To title and register your motorcycle in Kansas, you’ll need:
- Signed title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Motor Vehicle Examination (MVE-1) for out of state motorcycles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Sales tax.
- Registration and title fees.
How to Register a Motorcycle without a Title in Kansas
If your motorcycle has no title, you can:
Option 1: Motorcycles from Kansas
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.