ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Kansas and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Kansas.
Kansas Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Kansas have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Yes, periodic inspection required.
- Does Kansas require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Does Kansas require a title for old motorcycles?
- All Kansas motorcycles are titled.
Kansas Street Legal Motorcycle Requirements
Kansas street legal requirements include:
- Rearview mirror on left side.
- Passenger footrest when riding with a passenger.
- Turn signals.
- Daytime headlights manufactured after 1977.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Kansas
To title and register your motorcycle in Kansas, you’ll need:
- Signed title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Motor Vehicle Examination (MVE-1) for out of state motorcycles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Sales tax.
- Registration and title fees.
Find more information about Kansas motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle without a Title in Kansas
Here are some of your options for how to register a motorcycle without a title.
If your motorcycle has no title, you can:
Option 1: Motorcycles from Kansas
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Kansas.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
5 thoughts on “Register & Title a Motorcycle in Kansas”
Just bought a 2004 pagsta 49 cc and there is no title. How can I register it and get a tag in the state of Kansas without a title for it? Is there a way to get a title. I know it is not stolen as I purchased it from the original owner, however, they do not have any of the original paperwork.
I have a 2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 that I bought without a title. I have the bill of sale and a clean VIN number. Where should I get it registered.
I’d give it a go in Kansas (or wherever you live), and look at your other options if that doesn’t work out.
So I have a 2006 Yamati Strada RX150 (150cc) that I bought without a title and was told I would be able to register it in Kansas with a simple piece of paper, which I was unable to. I went to the DMV here in Kanas and they told me the only way to register it here would be by getting a quiet title. I have the vin and BOS, but when they ran the vin it looked like it had never been registered, so I was wondering if you thought I would be able to do it in Vermont and register it across, or if it was too new to do that and I would need to wait until the start of the new year?
The engine may be small enough that the Vermont method will work for you. If not, wait a year and try again. Best of luck.
Comments are closed.