SAVE MONEY ON INSURANCE. BUY MORE BIKES!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Kansas and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Kansas Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Kansas have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Yes, periodic inspection required.
- Does Kansas require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Does Kansas require a title for old motorcycles?
- All Kansas motorcycles are titled.
Kansas Street Legal Motorcycle Requirements
Kansas street legal requirements include:
- Rearview mirror on left side.
- Passenger footrest when riding with a passenger.
- Turn signals.
- Daytime headlights manufactured after 1977.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Kansas
To title and register your motorcycle in Kansas, you’ll need:
- Signed title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Motor Vehicle Examination (MVE-1) for out of state motorcycles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Sales tax.
- Registration and title fees.
How to Register a Motorcycle without a Title in Kansas
If your motorcycle has no title, you can:
Option 1: Motorcycles from Kansas
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.