This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Kentucky and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Kentucky Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Kentucky have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Kentucky require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for out of state motorcycles.
- Does Kentucky require a title for old motorcycles?
- All motorcycles are titled.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Kentucky
To register your motorcycle in Kentucky, you’ll need the following:
- Signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Application for Title and Registration
- Registration and title fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Kentucky:
- Bill of Sale
Register a No Title Motorcycle in Kentucky
Option 1: Motorcycles from Kentucky
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Kentucky Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Kentucky motorcycles must have:
- Left side rearview mirror.
- Passenger footrest when riding with passenger.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.