SAVE MONEY ON INSURANCE. BUY MORE BIKES!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Kentucky and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Kentucky Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Kentucky have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Kentucky require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for out of state motorcycles.
- Does Kentucky require a title for old motorcycles?
- All motorcycles are titled.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Kentucky
To register your motorcycle in Kentucky, you’ll need the following:
- Signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Application for Title and Registration
- Registration and title fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Kentucky:
- Bill of Sale
Register a No Title Motorcycle in Kentucky
Option 1: Motorcycles from Kentucky
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Kentucky Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Kentucky motorcycles must have:
- Left side rearview mirror.
- Passenger footrest when riding with passenger.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.