Register & Title a Motorcycle in Kentucky


Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!

✔Compare quotes fast and save money!

Best providers in your area.

This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Kentucky and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.

Kentucky Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles

  • Does Kentucky have an equipment/safety inspection?
    • Not required.
  • Does Kentucky require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
    • Required for out of state motorcycles.
  • Does Kentucky require a title for old motorcycles?
    • All motorcycles are titled.

How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Kentucky

To register your motorcycle in Kentucky, you’ll need the following:

Notarization Required on the following documents in Kentucky:

  • Bill of Sale
  • Title

Register a No Title Motorcycle in Kentucky

Option 1: Motorcycles from Kentucky

Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:

Option 2: Bikes from out of state


Save Money on Motorcycle Insurance

Compare quotes fast and save money!

Best providers in your area.

If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:

Option 3: Register in a No-Title State

Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.

Kentucky Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements

Kentucky motorcycles must have:

  • Left side rearview mirror.
  • Passenger footrest when riding with passenger.

This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.

More Kentucky Motorcycle Resources


Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!

✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!

✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.


4 thoughts on “Register & Title a Motorcycle in Kentucky”

  1. Daniel Banaszynski

    I bought a motorcycle from indiana and I live in Kentucky. Do I have to get it inspected when I get title and registration??

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Some counties in Kentucky require a VIN Inspection through the sheriff. Contact you local county clerk’s office for details on where you can go to get it done.

    1. motorcyclezombies

      Hi Bruce – You could try getting whatever the PO does have (i.e. old registration, old bill of sale) and try that as if it were an out-of-state bike. Otherwise, a no-title state registration may be your best bet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *