This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Louisiana and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Louisiana.
Louisiana Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Louisiana have a motorcycle inspection requirement?
- Periodic safety inspection required.
- Does Louisiana require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does Louisiana require a title for old motorcycles?
- All motorcycles require a title.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Louisiana
To register and title your motorcycle in Louisiana, you’ll need the following:
- Signed title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Notarized affidavit from previous owner certifying they are not an LA resident if the Bill of sale or out of state title is not notarized.
- Bill of Sale.
- Registration and title fees and sales tax.
- Vehicle Application form
Find more information about Louisiana motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Louisiana:
- Bill of sale
Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Louisiana
If you bought a motorcycle without a title, you can try to do the following:
Option 1: Bikes from LA
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Louisiana.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Louisiana Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycles in Louisiana must have:
- Left side rearview mirror.
- Handlebar grips no higher than shoulder height.
- Passenger footrests when riding with passengers.
- Turn signals.
- Speedometer and odometer.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.