Compare FREE Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
Rates starting at $7/month!
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Maine and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Maine Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Maine have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Does Maine require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for all motorcycles.
- Does Maine require a title for old motorcycles?
- Titles not required for motorcycles older than model year 1995
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Maine
To register your motorcycle in Main you’ll need:
- Signed Bill of Sale or title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Registration Application.
- Excise Tax Receipt.
- Sales tax.
- Registration fee.
No Title Motorcycle Registration in Maine
Option 1: Use a bill of sale
No titles required for motorcycle under 300c or manufactured before 1995.
Option 2: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Maine Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Motorcycle in Maine must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Handlebars not above shoulder height.
- Passenger footrests when riding with passengers.
- Daytime headlights.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
More Maine Motorcycle Resources
Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.