ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Maine and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Maine.
Maine Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Maine have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Does Maine require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for all motorcycles.
- Does Maine require a title for old motorcycles?
- Titles not required for motorcycles older than model year 1995
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Maine
To register your motorcycle in Main you’ll need:
- Signed Bill of Sale or title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Registration Application.
- Excise Tax Receipt.
- Sales tax.
- Registration fee.
Find more information about Maine motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
No Title Motorcycle Registration in Maine
Option 1: Use a bill of sale
No titles required for motorcycle under 300c or manufactured before 1995.
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Maine.
Option 2: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Maine Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Motorcycle in Maine must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Handlebars not above shoulder height.
- Passenger footrests when riding with passengers.
- Daytime headlights.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
2 thoughts on “Register & Title a Motorcycle in Maine”
Hi I want to ref motorcycle in Maine I’m from Ireland. I want to use bike to tour USA over the next few years. I will be ion a holiday visa when I travel. The motorcycle will be garaged in a friends house in Maine. How do I make this work for me. Kind regards John in Dublin
Your best bet is going to be to contact the DMV for specific details and requirements – length of stay may come into play here. Assuming you’ve got the proper motorcycle license from Ireland and the bike is registered and insured, you should be good to go as is.
Otherwise, you may need to visit the Department of Motorcycle Vehicles with proof of ownership of the bike and get a temporary registration.
I’d recommend contacting the AA for further guidance on this one before you start your trip.
Comments are closed.