ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Maryland and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Maryland.
Maryland Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Maryland have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Required when transferring title.
- Does Maryland require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does Maryland require a title for old motorcycles?
- All motorcycles titled.
Maryland Motorcycle Title and Registration Requirements
To register and title your project motorcycle in Maryland, you’ll need:
- Signed title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Maryland Title for motorcycles from out of state
- Bill of Sale
- Odometer Disclosure statement
- Safety inspection certificate.
- Sales tax, registration and title fees.
Find more information about Maryland motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Maryland:
- Bill of Sale
No Title Motorcycle Registration in Maryland
Option 1: Motorcycles purchases in MD
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Maryland.
Option 2: Bikes from outside Maryland
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Maryland Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Maryland requires motorcycles to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fender on rear wheel.
- Handlebars not higher than 15” above seat.
- Passenger footrest and handholds when riding with a passenger.
- Speedometer and odometer.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
2 thoughts on “Register & Title a Motorcycle in Maryland”
Have a question. It’s about a moped/ motorcycle 250cc street legal bike. Do I need a M class or driver’s license is enough.
You will need a Class M.
Comments are closed.