This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Massachusetts and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Massachusetts Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Massachusetts have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic safety/equipment inspection required.
- Does Massachusetts require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- No VIN Inspection required.
- Does Massachusetts require a title for old motorcycles?
- No titles required for motorcycles with a model year older than 1990.
Title and Register a Used Motorcycle in Massachusetts
To title and register your motorcycle in Massachusetts, you’ll need the following:
- Original title
- Bill of Sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles or for exempt motorcycles.
- Application for Registration and Title
- Bill of Sale if there is no title or no sale price section on the title.
- Title, registration, sales tax fees.
How to Register a Motorcycle without a Title in Massachusetts
If you purchased a used motorcycle with no title in MA, you can try the following options:
Option 1: Bill of Sale for Bikes older than 1990
No titles required for motorcycles older than 1990.
- Use the bill of sale and old registration.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Massachusetts Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycles in Massachusetts must have:
- Rearview mirror on left side.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Passenger footrests when carrying passengers.
- Turn signals for motorcycles manufactured after 1972.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.