⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Massachusetts and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Massachusetts.
Massachusetts Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Massachusetts have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic safety/equipment inspection required.
- Does Massachusetts require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- No VIN Inspection required.
- Does Massachusetts require a title for old motorcycles?
- No titles required for motorcycles with a model year older than 1980 purchased before November 26, 1990.
Title and Register a Used Motorcycle in Massachusetts
To title and register your motorcycle in Massachusetts, you’ll need the following:
- Original title
- Bill of Sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles or for exempt motorcycles.
- Application for Registration and Title
- Bill of Sale if there is no title or no sale price section on the title.
- Title, registration, sales tax fees.
Find more information about Massachusetts motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle without a Title in Massachusetts
Here are some options for how to register a motorcycle without a title in MA:
Option 1: Bill of Sale for Bikes older than 1980
No titles required for motorcycles older than 1980.
- Use the bill of sale and old registration.
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Massachusetts.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Massachusetts Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycles in Massachusetts must have:
- Rearview mirror on left side.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Passenger footrests when carrying passengers.
- Turn signals for motorcycles manufactured after 1972.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.