This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Michigan and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Michigan Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Michigan have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic motorcycle inspection required.
- Does Michigan require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does Michigan require a title for old motorcycles?
- Title required for all motorcycles.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Michigan
To title and register your motorcycle in MI, you’ll need the following:
- Signed motorcycle title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Registration and title fees and sales tax.
- Application for Michigan Title
Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Michigan
Option 1: Motorcycles from Michigan
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Michigan Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Michigan requires street legal motorcycles to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebars no more than 15” above seat.
- Passenger footrest when riding with passenger.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
More Michigan Motorcycle Resources
Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
✔Compare quotes fast and save money!
Best providers in your area.