This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Missouri and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Missouri.
Missouri Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Missouri have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Safety inspection required.
- Does Missouri require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for out of state motorcycles.
- Does Missouri require a title for old motorcycles?
- Title required.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Missouri
To register your motorcycle, you’ll need:
- Signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Missouri Application for Title
- Tax receipt or statement of non-assessment
- Safety Inspection
- Proof of insurance.
- Registration and title fees.
- Sales tax.
Find more information about Missouri motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Missouri:
- Bill of Sale
Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Missouri
Option 1: Motorcycles from Missouri
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Missouri.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Missouri Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycles in Missouri must have:
- Handlebar height no more that 15” above seat.
- Brake light must not display varying brightness for more than 5 seconds.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.