Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Montana and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Montana Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Montana have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Montana require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does Montana require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, title required.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Montana
To title and register your bike in Montana, you’ll need:
- Signed over title and notarization.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Statement of Fact
- Registration and title fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Montana:
- Title certificate.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Montana
If you bought a motorcycle in Montana without a title, you can try the following to get it registered:
Option 1: Bikes from Montana
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Montana Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Montana motorcycle requirements include:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Passenger footrests with a passenger.
- Turn signals.
- Daytime headlights.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.