This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Montana and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Montana Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Montana have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Montana require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does Montana require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, title required.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Montana
To title and register your bike in Montana, you’ll need:
- Signed over title and notarization.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Statement of Fact
- Registration and title fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Montana:
- Title certificate.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Montana
If you bought a motorcycle in Montana without a title, you can try the following to get it registered:
Option 1: Bikes from Montana
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Montana Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Montana motorcycle requirements include:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Passenger footrests with a passenger.
- Turn signals.
- Daytime headlights.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.