This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in New Hampshire and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in New Hampshire.
New Hampshire Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does New Hampshire have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic safety/equipment inspection required.
- Does New Hampshire require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- VIN Verification required for abandoned motorcycles, antique motorcycles, motorcycles from a state that only titles bikes less than 10 years old. Verification completed by an inspection station or law enforcement officer.
- Does New Hampshire require a title for old motorcycles?
- No titles required for motorcycles and vehicles with model year 1999 or older.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in New Hampshire
You’ll need the following:
- Signed title or Bill of Sale and registration.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- VIN Verification
- Registration and title fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in New Hampshire:
- Bill of Sale.
Find more information about New Hampshire motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Registration for No Title Motorcycles in New Hampshire
Option 1: NH Bike older than 15 model years
- Use the registration and a bill of sale.
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in New Hampshire.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
New Hampshire Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
NH motorcycles must have:
- Rearview mirror.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Handlebars no higher than shoulder height.
- Passenger footrests and handholds when riding with passengers.
- Turn signals required for motorcycles manufactured after 1972.
- Speedometer and odometer.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.