Need to register or title your motorcycle? We'll walk you through each step. First, let's take care of your motorcycle insuance.
Now is a great time to compare quotes to see if you qualify for a lower rate. Why pay more for insurance if you don't have to? Switch today and save!
⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please answer the questions below to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in New Jersey and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in New Jersey.
New Jersey Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does New Jersey have an equipment/safety inspection?
- No safety/equipment inspections required.
- Does New Jersey require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- No VIN inspection required.
- Does New Jersey require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all models years of motorcycles are titled.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in New Jersey
To register and title your bike, you’ll need:
- Signed title.
- Pencil trace or photo of the vehicle identification number, notarized bill of sale, old registration card if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles
- Registration Application (BA-49). Picked up at the MVC.
- Proof of insurance.
- Title and registration fees and sales tax.
- Application for Title
Notarization Required on the following documents in New Jersey:
- Bill of Sale form
Find more information about New Jersey motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a No Title Motorcycle in New Jersey
Option 1: Motorcycles from New Jersey
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
- Complete an Application for Duplicate Title
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in New Jersey.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
New Jersey Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
New Jersey requires motorcycles to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on rear wheel.
- Handlebar grips must not be above shoulder height.
- Passenger footrest if riding with a passenger.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.