- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in New Mexico and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in New Mexico.
New Mexico Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does New Mexico have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic safety inspection required.
- Does New Mexico require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for out of state motorcycles.
- Does New Mexico require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, New Mexico titles all motorcycles.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in New Mexico
You’ll need to provide the following:
- Signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale when the Assignment of Title is not on the back of the title certificate.
- Odometer Disclosure
- Application for Vehicle Title and Registration
- VIN Inspection for out of state bikes.
- Proof of insurance.
- Registration and title fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in New Mexico:
- Generic bill of sale forms.
Find more information about New Mexico motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in New Mexico
Option 1: Motorcycles from NM
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in New Mexico.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
New Mexico Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
New Mexico street legal motorcycles must include:
- Rearview Mirrors.
- Passenger footrest when carrying a passenger.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.