This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in New Mexico and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
New Mexico Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does New Mexico have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic safety inspection required.
- Does New Mexico require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for out of state motorcycles.
- Does New Mexico require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, New Mexico titles all motorcycles.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in New Mexico
You’ll need to provide the following:
- Signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale when the Assignment of Title is not on the back of the title certificate.
- Odometer Disclosure
- Application for Vehicle Title and Registration
- VIN Inspection for out of state bikes.
- Proof of insurance.
- Registration and title fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in New Mexico:
- Generic bill of sale forms.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in New Mexico
Option 1: Motorcycles from NM
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
New Mexico Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
New Mexico street legal motorcycles must include:
- Rearview Mirrors.
- Passenger footrest when carrying a passenger.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.