This page will cover the motorcycle registration and title process in New York and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in New York.
New York Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does New York have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Equipment inspections performed randomly.
- Does New York require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- No VIN inspection required.
- Does New York require a title for old motorcycles?
- No title required for motorcycles older than model year 1973.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in New York
To register and title your motorcycle in New York, you’ll need the following:
- Original title signed by buyer and seller (for NY motorcycles year 1973 and newer).
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- NYS transferable registration for NY motorcycles 1972 and older.
- Bill of Sale/Sales Tax Form DTF-802: Statement of Transaction – Sale or Gift of a Motor Vehicle, Trailer, All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV), Vessel (Boat), or Snowmobile (PDF) (DTF-802)
- Proof of insurance.
- Title and registration fees and sales tax.
- Vehicle Registration Application
Find more information about New York motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Register a Motorcycle with No Title in New York
If you bought a used motorcycle with no title in New York, you can try the following to get it registered:
Option 1: Bikes from NYS
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in New York.
Option 2: Bikes from outside New York
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
New York Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
New York requires motorcycles to have the following:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebar grips must not be above shoulder height.
- Turn signals required for motorcycles manufactured after 1984.
- Daytime Headlights required.
- Speedometer required for motorcycles manufactured after 1979.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.