This page will cover the motorcycle registration and title process in New York and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in New York.
New York Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does New York have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Equipment inspections performed randomly.
- Does New York require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- No VIN inspection required.
- Does New York require a title for old motorcycles?
- No title required for motorcycles older than model year 1973.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in New York
To register and title your motorcycle in New York, you’ll need the following:
- Original title signed by buyer and seller (for NY motorcycles year 1973 and newer).
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- NYS transferable registration for NY motorcycles 1972 and older.
- Bill of Sale/Sales Tax Form DTF-802: Statement of Transaction – Sale or Gift of a Motor Vehicle, Trailer, All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV), Vessel (Boat), or Snowmobile (PDF) (DTF-802)
- Proof of insurance.
- Title and registration fees and sales tax.
- Vehicle Registration Application
Find more information about New York motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Register a Motorcycle with No Title in New York
If you bought a used motorcycle with no title in New York, you can try the following to get it registered:
Option 1: Bikes from NYS
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in New York.
Option 2: Bikes from outside New York
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
New York Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
New York requires motorcycles to have the following:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebar grips must not be above shoulder height.
- Turn signals required for motorcycles manufactured after 1984.
- Daytime Headlights required.
- Speedometer required for motorcycles manufactured after 1979.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.