ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in North Carolina and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in North Carolina.
North Carolina Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does North Carolina have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Random safety/equipment inspections required for motorcycles.
- Does North Carolina require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- No VIN inspection required.
- Does North Carolina require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all motorcycles are titled in North Carolina.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in North Carolina
You’ll need to provide the following:
- Original signed title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Title Application
- Registration, Title, Sales tax fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in North Carolina:
- Original title.
- Title application.
- Duplicate title application.
Find more information about North Carolina motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in North Carolina
If you have purchased a motorcycle with no title, you’ve got the following options:
Option 1: Bikes from North Carolina
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
- Complete an Application for Duplicate Title
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in North Carolina.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
North Carolina Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycles in North Carolina must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Passenger footrest if riding with a passenger.
- Turn Signals for motorcycles manufactured after 2004.
- Speedometer required for motorcycles at least 20 years old.
- Daytime headlight required.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.