This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in North Dakota and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in North Dakota.
North Dakota Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does North Dakota have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does North Dakota require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- May be required when the motorcycle doesn’t have a title.
- Does North Dakota require a title for old motorcycles?
- Title required.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in North Dakota
To register and title your ND motorcycle, you’ll need:
- Signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Title and Registration
- Sales tax.
- Title and registration fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in North Dakota:
- Bill of Sale
Find more information about North Dakota motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Register a No Title Bike in North Dakota
Option 1: Bikes purchased in North Dakota
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
- Application for Duplicate Title
- Or, if the bike doesn’t have a title:
- Bill of Sale.
- Vehicle Statement of Ownership.
- VIN Inspection.
- Title Application.
- Photo of the motorcycle.
- Records check. If a title record is found, a Request for Vehicle Information.
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in North Dakota.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
North Dakota Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycle in ND must include:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Handlebars not higher than shoulder height.
- Turn signals required for motorcycles manufactured after 1972.
- Speedometer and odometer.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.