ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free quote.
Please enter your zip to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Ohio and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Ohio.
Ohio Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Ohio have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Yes, periodic motorcycle safety inspection conducted.
- Does Ohio require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- VIN verification required for out of state motorcycles.
- Does Ohio require a title for old motorcycles?
- All Ohio motorcycles are titled.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Ohio
You’ll need to provide the following:
- Signed over title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Certificate of Title
- VIN verification for out of state motorcycles.
- Title and registration fees.
- Sales tax.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Ohio:
- Bill of Sale
Find more information about Ohio motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Ohio
Option 1: Bikes bought in Ohio
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Ohio.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Ohio Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycles in Ohio must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebar height maximum 15” above seat and not above shoulder height.
- Passenger footrests when carrying passengers.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
2 thoughts on “Register & Title a Motorcycle in Ohio”
I am a resident of OHIO but working in Nogales Mexico. I want to buy a motorcycle in Arizona or New Mexico. I don’t know how to do this and register it in Ohio without physically going back to Ohio. Any suggestions would help. I don’t have an address in Arizona to register it to.
Best bet will be to contact Ohio BMV to see what registration steps apply for out-of-state residents.
Comments are closed.