This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Pennsylvania and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Pennsylvania have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Yes, there is a periodic safety inspection for motorcycles in Pennsylvania.
- Does Pennsylvania require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- A VIN inspection is required for motorcycle purchased out of state.
- Does Pennsylvania require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all motorcycles require a title.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Pennsylvania
To register and title your bike in PA, you’ll need the following:
- Signed Title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Form MV-4ST for Pennsylvania motorcycles. (Available from PENNDOT or certified agent)
- Form MV-1 for out-of-state motorcycle. (Available from PENNDOT or certified agent).
- VIN verification for out of state motorcycles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Title, registration, sales tax fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Pennsylvania:
- Certificate of Title & Applications
Find more information about Pennsylvania motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
No Title Motorcycle Registration in Pennsylvania
If you bought a used motorcycle with no title:
Option 1: Motorcycles from PA
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Pennsylvania.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Pennsylvania Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycles in PA must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Passenger footrest if carrying a passenger.
- Passenger handholds if carrying a passenger.
- Odometer required for motorcycles manufactured less than 25 years ago.
- Daytime headlights required.
- Auxiliary/ LED lighting permitted.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.