SAVE MONEY ON INSURANCE. BUY MORE BIKES!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Pennsylvania and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Pennsylvania Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Pennsylvania have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Yes, there is a periodic safety inspection for motorcycles in Pennsylvania.
- Does Pennsylvania require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- A VIN inspection is required for motorcycle purchased out of state.
- Does Pennsylvania require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all motorcycles require a title.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Pennsylvania
To register and title your bike in PA, you’ll need the following:
- Signed Title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Form MV-4ST for Pennsylvania motorcycles. (Available from PENNDOT or certified agent)
- Form MV-1 for out-of-state motorcycle. (Available from PENNDOT or certified agent).
- VIN verification for out of state motorcycles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Title, registration, sales tax fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Pennsylvania:
- Certificate of Title & Applications
No Title Motorcycle Registration in Pennsylvania
If you bought a used motorcycle with no title:
Option 1: Motorcycles from PA
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Pennsylvania Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycles in PA must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Passenger footrest if carrying a passenger.
- Passenger handholds if carrying a passenger.
- Odometer required for motorcycles manufactured less than 25 years ago.
- Daytime headlights required.
- Auxiliary/ LED lighting permitted.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.