This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Rhode Island and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Rhode Island Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Rhode Island have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic inspection required.
- Does Rhode Island require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for out of state motorcycles 2001 or newer.
- Does Rhode Island require a title for old motorcycles?
- No titles required for motorcycles with a model year of 2000 and older.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Rhode Island
You’ll need to provide the following to register your motorcycle in RI:
- Bill of sale and proof of previous owner. (Title/registration)
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Registration
- Registration fee.
- Sales or Use Tax Exemption Certificate and Sales Tax
- Exemption Affidavit
- Proof of insurance.
How to Register a Project Motorcycle with No Title in Rhode Island
If your motorcycle doesn’t have a title:
Option 1: Bikes older than 2001 don’t require a title in RI.
- Use a bill of sale.
- Proof of previous owner.
Option 2: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Rhode Island Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
RI requires motorcycles to have the following:
- Left side mirror.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Handlebars no more than 15” above seat.
- Passenger footrests and handholds required with passengers.
- Speedometer required if originally equipped.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
More Rhode Island Motorcycle Resources
- How to Get a Motorcycle License in Rhode Island
- How to Get Cheaper Motorcycle Insurance
- Free Bill of Sale
Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
✔Compare quotes fast and save money!
Best providers in your area.