SAVE MONEY ON INSURANCE. BUY MORE BIKES!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Rhode Island and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Rhode Island Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Rhode Island have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic inspection required.
- Does Rhode Island require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for out of state motorcycles 2001 or newer.
- Does Rhode Island require a title for old motorcycles?
- No titles required for motorcycles with a model year of 2000 and older.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Rhode Island
You’ll need to provide the following to register your motorcycle in RI:
- Bill of sale and proof of previous owner. (Title/registration)
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Registration
- Registration fee.
- Sales or Use Tax Exemption Certificate and Sales Tax
- Exemption Affidavit
- Proof of insurance.
How to Register a Project Motorcycle with No Title in Rhode Island
If your motorcycle doesn’t have a title:
Option 1: Bikes older than 2001 don’t require a title in RI.
- Use a bill of sale.
- Proof of previous owner.
Option 2: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Rhode Island Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
RI requires motorcycles to have the following:
- Left side mirror.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Handlebars no more than 15” above seat.
- Passenger footrests and handholds required with passengers.
- Speedometer required if originally equipped.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.