⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please enter your ZIP to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in South Carolina and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in South Carolina.
South Carolina Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does South Carolina have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does South Carolina require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does South Carolina require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all motorcycles receive titles.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in South Carolina
To title and register your bike in SC, you’ll need the following:
- Signed over title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale for motorcycles with titles issued before 1989.
- Proof of insurance.
- Application of Title and Registration
- Sales tax.
- Title and registration fees.
Find more information about South Carolina motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Register a No Title Motorcycle in South Carolina
Option 1: Motorcycles bought in SC
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in South Carolina.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: If the motorcycle is over 25 years old and has no title:
- Affidavit of Ownership
- Photos of the motorcycle from all sides.
- Submit to the South Carolina DMV headquarters by mail.
- If your application is approved, you can use it to title the bike.
Option 4: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
South Carolina Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
SC requires motorcycles to have:
- Rearview mirror.
- Passenger footrests when carrying passenger.
- Daytime headlights.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.