This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in South Dakota and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in South Dakota.
South Dakota Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does South Dakota have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does South Dakota require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does South Dakota require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, title required.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in South Dakota
You’ll need to provide the following:
- Signed title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Application for Title and Registration
- Bill of Sale.
- Registration and title fees.
Find more information about South Dakota motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in South Dakota
If your project motorcycle has no title:
Option 1: Motorcycles bought in SD
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in South Dakota.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
South Dakota Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Motorcycles in South Dakota must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Passenger footrests when riding with passengers.
- Brake light may not display a blue light larger than 1” in diameter.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.