This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Tennessee and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Tennessee Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Tennessee have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Tennessee require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- VIN Inspection not required.
- Does Tennessee require a title for old motorcycles?
- Required for all motorcycles.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Tennessee
You’ll need to provide the following:
- Signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Registration and title fees.
- Proof of ID and residency.
- Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfer may be required.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Tennessee:
- Bill of sale.
Registering a Motorcycle in Tennessee without a Title
Option 1: Bikes from Tennessee
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Tennessee Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Tennessee requires street legal motorcycle to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Passenger footrest when riding with a passenger.
- Daytime headlights.
- Brake light flash regulations.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
More Tennessee Motorcycle Resources
- How to Get a Motorcycle License in Tennessee
- How to Get Cheaper Motorcycle Insurance
- Free Bill of Sale
Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.