- Insurance costs increased in 2024.
- Don't let your rates go up.
- Compare rates to save big!
This page will cover the motorcycle registration and title process in Texas and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle with no title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Texas.
Texas Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Texas have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic safety inspection required.
- Does Texas require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Does Texas require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all motorcycles are titled.
How to Title and register a Motorcycle in Texas
To register and title your motorcycle in TX, you’ll need the following:
- Signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Application for Title
- Vehicle Inspection Report.
- Registration and title fees and sales tax.
Find more information about Texas motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Texas
To register a used motorcycle without a title in Texas, you can either:
Option 1: Motorcycle from Texas
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Texas.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Texas Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Texas requires motorcycles to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebars not higher than 15” above seat.
- Passenger footrests and handholds when riding with a passenger.
- Daytime headlights.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.