Compare FREE Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
Rates starting at $7/month!
This page will cover the motorcycle registration and title process in Texas and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle with no title.
Texas Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Texas have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic safety inspection required.
- Does Texas require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Does Texas require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all motorcycles are titled.
How to Title and register a Motorcycle in Texas
To register and title your motorcycle in TX, you’ll need the following:
- Signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Proof of insurance.
- Application for Title
- Vehicle Inspection Report.
- Registration and title fees and sales tax.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Texas
To register a used motorcycle without a title in Texas, you can either:
Option 1: Motorcycle from Texas
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
Save Money on Motorcycle Insurance
Compare quotes fast and save money!
Best providers in your area.
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Texas Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Texas requires motorcycles to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Handlebars not higher than 15” above seat.
- Passenger footrests and handholds when riding with a passenger.
- Daytime headlights.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
More Texas Motorcycle Resources
Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.