This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Utah and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Utah.
Utah Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Utah have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Utah require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for out of state motorcycles.
- Does Utah require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all motorcycles are titled in Utah.
How to Register a Motorcycle in Utah
To register and title your bike in Utah, you’ll need to provide the following:
- Signed title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale
- Application for Utah Title
Find more information about Utah motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Utah
Option 1: Motorcycles purchased in Utah
Before sale is complete, ask previous complete a duplicate title application:
Option 2: Insufficient Evidence of Ownership Process in Utah
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Utah.
Option 3: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 4: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Utah Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Utah requires street legal motorcycles to have:
- Left side rearview mirror.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Handlebar handgrip height not higher than shoulders.
- Passenger footrest and handholds when riding with passengers.
- Turn signals required if original equipped by manufacturer.
- Odometer required.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.