Vermont Motorcycle Registration

Vermont Motorcycle Registration

This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Vermont and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.

Vermont allows non-residents to register motorcycles by mail. You’ll need a signed bill of sale to complete the transaction and pay sales tax on the fair price. Details below.

Vermont Title & Inspection Requirements for Old Motorcycles

  • Does Vermont have an equipment/safety inspection?
    • Periodic inspection required.
  • Does Vermont require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
    • VIN Inspection required for out of state motorcycles over 500cc.
  • Does Vermont require a title for old motorcycles?
  • Titles are not required for motorcycles older than 15 years.
  • VIN inspections not required for motorcycles with engines less than 500 ccs.

How to Get a Vermont Motorcycle Title

Vermont does not require titles for motorcycle older than 15 years.

You’ll need to provide the following to register a motorcycle in Vermont:

Application can be mailed in. Full instructions here. You do not have to be a resident of Vermont to register an old motorcycle.

Vermont Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements

Vermont requires street legal motorcycles to have:

  • Rearview mirror.
  • Fenders on both wheels.
  • Handlebars not higher than 15” above seat.
  • Passenger footrests and handholds when carrying passengers.

This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.

31 Replies to “Vermont Motorcycle Registration”

    1. 15 year-old+ bikes with engines under 500cc typically do not require a VIN inspection. You should be good to go.

        1. Good luck! Just be sure to send in enough to cover registration + tax fees. They’ll give you a refund if you send too much.

  1. Please tell me this will work! It’s been a long and draining process. I live in NC I have a 1978 Honda hawk CB400A who was given to me by the last “owner”. He didn’t have any paper work for the bike except a letter saying he needed to get the bike inspected in 2014 which he never did and now doesn’t have a title for it. We were going to try and do the indemnity bond but I think this way will be better if it works? Should it work?

    1. Make sure you’ve got a bill of sale to send in along with your application and fees and you should be good to go. Worth a shot for sure.

    1. You’ll need a VIN inspection form completed to send in along with your application, but yes, you should be good to go.

  2. Hi got a stolen and recover HD from TX didn’t know it was a non repairable title got inspection form but my state won’t let Me
    register it can I do it in Vermont

  3. I have a 1982 Honda VF750 that I purchased from a guy I know the other day. He bought it from a guy who lost the title so neither of us has it. I ran a VIN check on it and it came up clean. Any thoughts on how to register it? I live in Missouri. thanks!

  4. I have a Hawk 250cc with the MCO from dealer in texas but no bill of sale. Is there any state I can title this in and then transfer to Wisconsin? Thanks

  5. I work in a garage and was given an abandoned moped. It’s been sitting there for 1yr they were going to throw it away. I don’t have any paperwork but I do have keys for it. Can I register/get title in Vermont and then transfer it to Hawaii?

    1. I ran my VIN with a cop friend and once it came up clean I used my best friend’s info to”sell” it to me on the bill of sale. Filled out the Vermont paperwork and sent a check. They ended up sending me a refund because I overpayed! Transferred the plate for a MI title once the Vermont tags expired. Never even had the VIN inspected once tbh. Easy peasy. Bike was 1969 Yamaha ct175.

  6. Hello I’m having a problem getting my 2004 RMZ250 titles in Kentucky. I don’t have tags or plates and the bike has had a lost tile for years now. I have been looking up ways to title the bike but what about getting a title that is not in your name and is lost?

  7. Hi from California! thank you for the info! I bought a 1966 Honda s90 from the seller who originally bought the bike for parts but ended up restoring it. We made a bill of sale, no title. he told me that he searched the vin and there is no records in CA. Should I register it in Vermont?
    I am very eager to ride this beauty!!

  8. Hi I have a 1982 Honda sabre in Idaho, I purchased a motorcycle from a guy who signed the back and gave me the title and then vanished so I have the title but it’s not my name what can I do

    1. If he signed the buyer’s portion instead of the seller’s portion that’s definitely a big mistake. Best bet would be to try to track him down if that’s the case. If he signed both the buyer and seller portions of the title – I’d try to correct the error with your name and explain what occurred if any questions come up. Good luck.

  9. Hey there! I’ve got a 93 Fatboy with new frame and casings… So technically the VIN never existed in any state. Can I still use the new numbers on the frame when submitting info to register in Vermont? Or would I need to take it for inspection. (Non Harley frame in CT will be considered composite unfortunately)

    1. Bikes with engines over a certain size (500cc I believe) will still require a VIN inspection to register in Vermont. Could be worth a try though if no other options prove out. Good luck!

  10. I live in Texas and have and out of state title for motorcycle I bought from person living in Colorado can I register the bike in Vermont and then once title is transferred into my name register it in Texas so I can get tags for motorcycle. Right now I have no tags cause they where taken by old owner.

    1. Hi Michael – You should be able to register the bike in Texas using the Colorado title. If you’re not able to do that for whatever reason, then, yes, you’d be able transfer to Texas from Vermont. I’d try to go through Texas first with the out-of-state CO title. Thanks for visiting Motorcycle Zombies. Good luck.

  11. Could I get a Vermont title or registration for a 1983 Yamaha XS650 if I live in Massachusetts? I tried to register it in MA but can’t because I don’t have the prior owners title or registration who lives in NH. All I have is a Bill of Sale. What are my options? Thanks. Tim

    1. Vermont seems like your best bet. Fill out the form, provide the current fees, and get a VIN inspection if necessary, and mail it all off. Good luck!

      1. I’m in Rhode island I have a 1985 Honda elite 250 no title or registration only bill of sale. Can I register in VT?

    1. Hi Dennis,

      You should be able to get a Vermont title for your Triumph through this process. Once you receive the title and plates, you could ride the bike and then transfer it in Hawaii.

      Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *