This page will cover the street legal requirements and motorcycle registration and title process in Virginia and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Virginia.
Virginia Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Virginia have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic safety inspection required.
- Does Virginia require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- No VIN verification required.
- Does Virginia require a title for old motorcycles?
- Yes, all Virginia motorcycles are titled.
Title and Register a Motorcycle in Virginia
To register and title your bike in VA, you’ll need:
- Signed title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Safety inspection sticker.
- Application for Title and Registration for out of state motorcycles.
- Bill of Sale
- Proof of insurance.
- Registration and titles fees.
Find more information about Virginia motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Virginia
If your used motorcycle doesn’t have a title, you can try to get it registered in one of the following ways:
Option 1: Motorcycles from Virginia
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Virginia.
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Virginia Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Virginia street legal motorcycles must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Handlebar height no more than 15” above seat.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.