SAVE MONEY ON INSURANCE. BUY MORE BIKES!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Washington D.C. and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Washington D.C. Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Washington D.C. have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Washington D.C. require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of D.C.?
- Not required.
- Does Washington D.C. require a title for old motorcycles?
- All motorcycles require a title.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Washington D.C.
You’ll need the following:
- Signed title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale.
- Title application.
- Proof of insurance.
- Registration and title fees.
Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Washington D.C.
Option 1: Motorcycles purchased in DC
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Motorcycles from outside DC
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Washington D.C. Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycles in DC must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Passenger footrests and handholds when riding with a passenger.
- Turn signals.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.