Need to register or title your motorcycle? We'll walk you through each step. First, let's take care of your motorcycle insuance.
Now is a great time to compare quotes to see if you qualify for a lower rate. Why pay more for insurance if you don't have to? Switch today and save!
⚠️ ATTENTION: Need to register or title your motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any insurance requirements. Click below for a free insurance quote.
Please answer the questions below to get started:
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Washington D.C. and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in Washington DC.
Washington D.C. Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Washington D.C. have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Not required.
- Does Washington D.C. require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of D.C.?
- Not required.
- Does Washington D.C. require a title for old motorcycles?
- All motorcycles require a title.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Washington D.C.
You’ll need the following:
- Signed title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale.
- Title application.
- Proof of insurance.
- Registration and title fees.
Find more information about Washington DC motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Washington D.C.
Option 1: Motorcycles purchased in DC
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in Washington DC.
Option 2: Motorcycles from outside DC
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Washington D.C. Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Street legal motorcycles in DC must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Passenger footrests and handholds when riding with a passenger.
- Turn signals.
Learn more about street legal motorcycle requirements.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.