This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Washington and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Washington Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Washington have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic safety inspection required.
- Does Washington require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Required for out of state motorcycles new to Washington.
- Does Washington require a title for old motorcycles?
- All Washington motorcycles are titled.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in Washington
You’ll need to provide the following:
- Current signed title
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Bill of Sale
- Vehicle Title Application
- Title and registration fees.
Notarization Required on the following documents in Washington:
- Bill of Sale
- New title and duplicate title application.
How to Register a Motorcycle with No Title in Washington
If your motorcycle project doesn’t have a title:
Option 1: Motorcycles bought in Washington
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to complete a:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Washington Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Washington requires motorcycles to have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fenders on both wheels.
- Handlebar height maximum 30” above seat.
- Turn signals required for motorcycle manufactured after 1960.
- Daytime headlights required.
- Brake lights must not display blue light more than 1” in diameter.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.
More Washington Motorcycle Resources
- How to Get a Motorcycle License in Washington
- How to Get Cheaper Motorcycle Insurance
- Free Bill of Sale
Compare FREE Online Quotes for Motorcycle Insurance!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.