This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in West Virginia and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Learn more about motorcycle title transfers in West Virginia.
West Virginia Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does West Virginia have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Periodic inspection required.
- Does West Virginia require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does West Virginia require a title for old motorcycles?
- Titles required for all motorcycles.
How to Title and Register a Motorcycle in West Virginia
To register and title your bike in West Virginia, you’ll need:
- Signed over title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Notarized bill of sale.
- Application for Certificate of Title
- Title and registration fees.
- Sales tax.
Notarization Required on the following documents in West Virginia:
- Bill of sale.
Find more information about West Virginia motorcycle registration and registration renewal.
How to Register a Motorcycle with no title in West Virginia
Option 1: Bikes from WV
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Learn how to replace a lost motorcycle title in West Virginia.
Option 2: Bikes from outside West Virginia
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
West Virginia Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
WV requires street legal motorcycles to have:
- Rearview mirror.
- Handlebars no higher than 15” above seat.
- Passenger footrest when riding with passenger.
- Turn signals required for motorcycles manufactured after 1972.
- Odometer required.
- Daytime headlights.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.