SAVE MONEY ON INSURANCE. BUY MORE BIKES!
✔Compare motorcycle insurance rates now!
✔Get matched with top providers. Switch and save.
This page will cover the street legal requirements and registration and title process in Wisconsin and provide some tips on how to register if you bought the motorcycle without a title.
Wisconsin Title & Inspection Requirements for Used Motorcycles
- Does Wisconsin have an equipment/safety inspection?
- Safety inspection required.
- Does Wisconsin require VIN Inspections for motorcycles bought out of state?
- Not required.
- Does Wisconsin require a title for old motorcycles?
- Required for all motorcycles.
Wisconsin Motorcycle Title and Registration
You’ll need to provide the following to register your motorcycle:
- Signed title.
- Bill of sale and old registration if bought in a state that doesn’t issue titles.
- Wisconsin Title and Plates Form
- Title, registration fees and taxes.
No Title Motorcycle Registration in Wisconsin
If you bought a motorcycle with no title in Wisconsin:
Option 1: Motorcycles bought in Wisconsin
Before sale is complete, ask previous owner to get a duplicate title:
Option 2: Bikes from out of state
If the motorcycle was bought in a state that requires motorcycle titles:
- Have the previous owner request a duplicate title in that state.
- Find motorcycle registration and title details for all states here.
Option 3: Register in a No-Title State
Register the bike in a non-title, no residency requirement, mail-in registration application state, such as Vermont.
- Follow the registration requirements in Vermont.
- Transfer your registration to your own state.
Wisconsin Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment Requirements
Wisconsin motorcycles must have:
- Rearview mirrors.
- Fender on rear wheel.
- Handlebars no more than 30” above seat.
- Passenger footrest when carrying a passenger.
- Daytime headlights.
- Speedometer and odometer.
This information was correct at the time of writing it, but state laws are subject to change.