Home » Scooters & Mopeds » How to Get a Moped License » Massachusetts Moped License & Registration (50cc Scooters)

Help me MotorcycleZombies, you're my only hope!

Massachusetts Moped License & Registration (50cc Scooters)


Taking care of a task for your license or motorcycle? Be prepared to satisfy any motorcycle insurance requirements.

Please enter your ZIP to get your insurance quote.

If you’ve got a short commute or need a fun, convenient way to get around town, mopeds are an excellent choice. 

They’re easy to ride, have great gas mileage, and are affordable to purchase and maintain. 

This page will cover the basic requirements for riding a moped in Massachusetts.

If you already have a valid Massachusetts motorcycle license, you’ll definitely be ready to ride a moped or <50cc scooter. In fact, that’s typically the safest route to go. 

Massachusetts Moped Laws for <50cc Scooters

In order to ride a moped legally in Massachusetts, you’ll need to be sure to follow the rules and regulations. Failing to do so could result in traffic tickets, fines, or a suspended license. 

The Massachusetts RMV defines a moped as either a pedal bicycle with a motor or a non-pedal bicycle with a motor that meets the following criteria:

  • An engine size of no more than 50cc. 
  • An automatic transmission. 
  • A top speed of no more than 30 mph. 
  • Meets all federal motor vehicle safety standards. 

Motor-driven cycles that do not meet these definitions are typically classified as a motorcycle or limited use motorcycle. 

Mopeds that have had their speed restrictor removed may also need to be reclassified as a motorcycle. 

Riding a moped is allowed on public roads except for limited access highways and interstates.

Moped riders must use turn or hand signals to communicate with other drivers. 

The minimum age to ride is 16 years old with a valid driver’s license or learner’s permit. 

All riders must wear a DOT approved motorcycle helmet.  

For a complete list of rules and regulations regarding mopeds in Massachusetts, contact your local DMV office. 

Learn about the differences between scooters vs. mopeds

Do you need a license to drive a moped in Massachusetts?

In Massachusetts, you will generally need a driver’s license to legally ride a moped on public roads. 

How to Get a Massachusetts Moped License

Since Massachusetts requires a driver’s license to ride a moped, you’ll usually need to:

  • Visit your local RMV office. 
  • Submit an application. 
  • Provide proof of ID.
  • Pass the vision and knowledge exam. 
  • Pass a road test. 
  • Pay the necessary fees.

Learn how to get your Massachusetts motorcycle license

Massachusetts Moped Registration & Insurance

Massachusetts requires mopeds to be registered, but will not issue a title. 

You’ll need to:

  • Visit your local RMV office. 
  • Complete a Motorized Bicycle (Moped) Registration Application. 
  • Provide the bill of sale or MCO as proof of ownership. 
  • Pay the $40 registration fee.

Moped registrations must be renewed every 2 years. 

You’ll receive a moped license plate and a registration decal. 

All moped registrations expire on March 31. 

Learn more about:

Many of the major motorcycle insurance providers will also offer coverage for smaller bikes, scooters, and mopeds. 

Regardless of the Massachusetts requirements, it’s always a smart idea to have insurance coverage when you ride any type of vehicle on public roads. 

Be sure to compare quotes from a few different providers to get the best rates. 

Learn more about moped insurance.

Note that some cities and local jurisdictions may have additional regulations for moped riders. (i.e. roadway restrictions, registration requirements, etc.). Be sure to check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles/authorities to make sure you and your moped are street legal.

For official information, up-to-date fees, and instructions, please contact your local county Massachusetts DMV office.  

Find more information about scooter and mopeds here. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *